Seven Michigan St football players attacked in tunnel fight at Michigan | News, sports, jobs


ANN ARBOR, Michigan (AP) — Seven Michigan state football players were charged last month over the post-game fight in the Michigan Stadium tunnel, according to a statement issued Wednesday by the Washtenaw County prosecutor’s office.

The most serious charge is against cornerback Khary Crump, who is being convicted of misdemeanor. The charges against the six others are felonies. Linebacker Itayvion “Tank” Brown, safety Angelo Grose, cornerback Justin White, defensive end Brandon Wright and defensive end Zion Young are each charged with aggravated assault, and linebacker Jacoby Windmon faces one count of assault and battery.

No. 3 Michigan will play rival No. 2 Ohio State down the road Saturday a few hours before the Spartans wrap up their regular season at No. 11 Penn State, needing a win to qualify for bowl.

On October 29, skirmishes broke out in the Michigan Stadium tunnel after then-No. 4 Wolverines defeated the Spartans 29-7.

Social media posts showed Michigan State players shoving, punching and kicking Michigan State players Ja’Den McBurrows in and near a hallway that does not lead to either locker room. Brown, Grose, and Young are seen on video getting physical with McBurrows.

McBurrows and defensive back Gemon Green entered the tunnel and walked alongside the Spartans, after the game, as much of the Michigan team waved them off the field after beating their state rivals for the first time in three years.

Green, at another post, is surrounded by police as he yells down the tunnel at Michigan State players.

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh has said one of the players, whom he did not identify, may have suffered a broken nose. He also said that Green was beaten by a Spartan player and that McBurrows was attacked when he tried to assist.

Harbaugh has said he expected the suspended Spartans to face criminal charges.

The statement from the prosecution did not detail the allegations, including who is accused of beating whom.

The statement also does not mention possible jail terms for each charge. It adds that the office will not comment further as the case progresses.

Michigan President Santa J. Ono said in a statement Wednesday that the school appreciated it “the thoughtful, considered approach of the Washtenaw County Attorney’s Office to this unfortunate incident.”

“We also want to express our concern for all players involved, especially those who have been injured.” said Ono. “The University of Michigan will continue to cooperate fully with any additional assessments of this case.”

Michigan State’s athletic director and football coach did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Michigan State coach Mel Tucker has suspended eight players — including Malcolm Jones, who faces no felony charges — for their role in the fight.

Following the October 29 incident, Michigan State President Samuel Stanley publicly apologized for the “violent” skirmish.

“I am deeply saddened by this incident and the unacceptable behavior of members of our football program.” Stanley then said in a statement. “On behalf of Michigan State University, my sincere apologies to the University of Michigan and the student athletes who were injured.”

___

AP College Football: https://apnews.com/hub/college-football and https://twitter.com/AP_Top25. Sign up for AP’s college football newsletter: https://bit.ly/3pqZVaF



Today’s latest news and more in your inbox







Leave a Comment