Thank you. In 2022, from “Snowmaggedon”, through fire season and election night, you were with us! Your interest in our reporting gives meaning to our work and the continued support of our readers fuels our continued coverage of the wider Sierra Nevada region.
Focus ahead is our editorial vision for 2023. It is YubaNet’s initiative to provide more insight into what our readers need. Through surveys, emails and conversations, you told us what’s missing in our local media landscape. Now we are ready to deliver YubaNet and take it into the future with expanded coverage in 2023.
This work needs your support. All subscriptions during our winter campaign fund the 2023 reporting for Focus Forward. Subscribe.
Focus Forward does not mean closing our eyes to the challenges we face, otherwise our stories will always be joyful. It means every story we report is meant to give you information you need to move forward and create a positive impact in the Sierra Nevada and beyond.
Here are just some of the things we’re planning:
- Our coverage for wildfires and emergency response is second to none. We will expand the scope of that coverage with comprehensive reporting on how resources are being used to protect our region from wildfires and the other impacts of climate change.
- We’ll look at how decisions are made locally around federal and state funding to address homelessness and the housing crisis hitting California.
- Nothing is more important to our future than our young people. We’ll discuss how schools are addressing the learning gap, focusing on what works, what parents need to know and what our students really think.
- Art, food, culture and small businesses are the lifeblood of our community. We’re expanding our coverage of it all to keep you up to date with the most vibrant aspects of the Sierra Nevada.
- If the pandemic has taught us anything, it’s that we need to make time to come together as a community. We will continue to be a part of town halls, listening sessions and community events, and will provide you with more opportunities to learn and connect with friends and neighbors in the coming year. It’s time to expand our common universe again!
Since the start of the pandemic, more than 360 local newsrooms in the US have been closed. A record 16,160 editorial jobs were lost in 2020 and the trend continues.
That’s why we need you. The past few years have been tough for everyone, but we stayed focused on delivering facts, context and ideas moving in the right direction, moving forward.
Can we count on you to support journalism that moves us forward, not backwards?
If you would like to learn more about how you or your organization can support YubaNet with a one-time tax-deductible donation of $5,000 or more, please contact us directly at [email protected] These funds will be used exclusively to hire reporters at a living wage to cover our community. Or visit givebutter.com/yubanet to make your tax-deductible donation now. Thank you!
If you are interested in advertising with us, please contact us at [email protected] and let us know how we can help you share your message with our highly engaged digital community.